Monday, March 17, 2008

Snowmobile Ads

Generally there's been a wall of separation between the topics in my blogspot and my professional activities. In point of fact, however, our lives work best when our profession is a harmonious extension of our selves. Our careers soak up so many of our waking hours that it seems anyone who is not plugged into a situation that they enjoy and that uses their natural abilities ought to seriously be looking for a different situation. At AMSOIL I've found a wonderful place to do what all of us desire to do, which is to "bloom where you are planted." I've been given the opportunity to really pour myself into my work, utilizing my writing and design skills as well as problem solving and marketing experience.

Yesterday's blog entry presented some of the ideas of David Ogilvy, a big influence on my development. Today's entry presents a few of the ads I've produced these past twelve years for AMSOIL, the leading independent manufacturer of synthetic motor oils, along with a few comments about each.

1. Secret of Our Success
This ad represents our early involvement in the extreme sport of WSA Snocross. Our very first year was challenging because ads that appear in mags for the snowmobile season are being developed in late summer. The very first year in the sport we really didn't have photos of our team.

The second year I was still unhappy about what I had to work. In addition, we had switched riders of the AMSOIL sleds. However, the local paper had sent a photographer to cover an autograph signing, and when I saw the photo I knew it was exactly what I wanted.

What I Like:
It is pretty much a standard layout, conveying the message with direct, logical arguments and traditional flow of ideas. Good writing, great photo. Count the AMSOIL logos in that photo!

What I Especially Like: When AMSOIL got involved in snocross. we were one of seventeen two stroke oil companies with 2-3% marketshare (according survey by Supertrax Magazine). within two short years the combined synergies of sponsoring a high profile snocross team along with the supporting advertising and the newly emerging internet resulted in significant sales growth, and 20% top of mind awareness, with continuous growth in sales and marketshare throughout these past ten years.

2. Faster, Higher, Farther
What I Like: Obviously not a lot of copy here, but even in its brevity it supplies plenty of information. Add the this a dramatic image that speaks more than its allotted thousand words... and you have something tantalizing for the eyes as well as the mind.


3. When it comes to performance...
OK, so the reverse type violates a principle underscored vociferously by Mr. Ogilvy, but I don't think it is so much copy that one would disregard it utterly. The copy itself is tight, says plenty in a few short sentences. It's clear what we're selling here. Two stroke oils for snowmobiles.

What I Like: The photo of D.J. Eckstrom is strikingly energetic, but that vivid image in the background has an almost haunting dramatic quality that I especially like. When I see this ad, I think of the song, "Ghost Riders In The Sky."

What I Especially Like: It makes a strong promise in the headline, and AMSOIL products deliver.

Special thanks to Service Printers of Duluth for their art department, whose contributions make my success possible.

CLICK ON IMAGE TO SEE FULL SIZE

No comments:

Popular Posts