Saturday, June 21, 2008

Swamp Sisters, Revisited

Well gosh, was that ever yummy! If you've never been, you owe it to yourself.


Their story begins in the late nineties when the six Armstrong sisters started talking about opening a shop to sell buffalo meat, which sister Suzi raises about two miles to the east. After a lot of debate, they decided the best location would be the old farm where they grew up. They called themselves the Swamp Sisters because their relatives always joked about their family trying to farm in a swamp.

A special feature of the menu is Bonnie’s Swamp Skillet with buffalo sausage or ham, onions, peppers, mushrooms, tater tots, eggs and cheese, which I should have taken a picture of before I ate it. I have liked these skillets so much I've never ordered anything diff, but I've alreasdy decided I'll do that next time I eat here.

They're only open Fridays and Saturdays from eight till two, so you better skidaddle out there while you can and don't be late, or you're missin' something special.

Occasionally they have too many dang customers, and you have to wait outside in the sun or poke around in the gift shop, which can easily occupy a person for hours with all the interesting gifts, antiques, bison meat, crafts and other goodies they have there.

Whether breakfast or lunch, it’s home cookin’ at its finest, seasoned with warmth and a sense of humor. Be sure to take in the signs. These sisters, and the ever faithful brother, have a wry sense of humor that pervades all they do.

Hope you enjoy these photos I took this morning while enjoying a Half Skillet. And the price is just right... Under five bucks with the orange juice! I always leave a big tip 'cause I have a crush one of the waitresses. (She's my wife.)

Check out the pics here (click images to enlarge) and if you get a chance, as you head north on Hwy. 53 from Duluth, make a left at Twig out County Road 7. Only five minutes further... You will not regret it.

No comments:

Popular Posts