Friday, October 8, 2010

Three Lines, Two Stanzas and a Series of Dreams

If you listen to Dylan much at all, you can't help but notice the many great lines woven throughout his songs. Here three favorites lines, two stanzas and another of my favorite Dylan songs, A Series Of Dreams. Plus a couple Dylan portraits I've painted over the past few years.

Three Lines

"If I turn a deaf ear to the thunder in the sky, what good am I?"
(What Good Am I?)

"You don’t need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows."
(Subterranean Homesick Blues)

The enemy is subtle, how be it we are so deceived
When the truth’s in our hearts and we still don’t believe?
(Precious Angel)

Two Stanzas

Rubin could take a man out with just one punch
But he never did like to talk about it all that much
It’s my work, he’d say, and I do it for pay
And when it’s over I’d just as soon go on my way
Up to some paradise
Where the trout streams flow and the air is nice
And ride a horse along a trail
But then they took him to the jailhouse
Where they try to turn a man into a mouse.
(Hurricane)

Now he worships at an altar of a stagnant pool
And when he sees his reflection, he’s fulfilled
Oh, man is opposed to fair play
He wants it all and he wants it his way
(License to Kill)

And a really great song....

Series Of Dreams

I was thinking of a series of dreams
Where nothing comes up to the top,
Everything stays down where it’s wounded
And comes to a permanent stop.
Wasn’t thinking of anything specific
Like in a dream when someone wakes up and screams;
Nothing too very scientific,
Just thinking of a series of dreams.

Thinking of a series of dreams
Where the time and the tempo fly
And there’s no exit in any direction
’Cept the one that you can’t see with your eyes;
Wasn’t making any great connection
Wasn’t falling for any intricate scheme,
Nothing that would pass inspection…
Just thinking of a series of dreams.

Dreams where the umbrella is folded
Into the path you are hurled
And the cards are no good that you’re holding
Unless they’re from another world.

In one, the surface was frozen;
In another, I witnessed a crime.
In one, I was running, and in another
All I seemed to be doing was climb.
Wasn’t looking for any special assistance,
Nor going to any great extremes;
I’d already gone the distance
Just thinking of a series of dreams.
Copyright © 1991 by Special Rider Music


Have a creative, fulfilling day.... and enjoy your weekend.

No comments:

Popular Posts