Saturday, January 29, 2011

Pretenders

When I think about my life and all the various side streets I’ve travelled, what are the most important lessons I have learned?

How much of what I am doing is a “pose”, a projection? How much of what I do is just pretending?

I saw two or three minutes of a game show on a TV in the airport. Everyone was cheering and smiling broadly. Anyone who knows how things work understands that the crowd was being prompted, incited to project cheerfulness and enthusiasm. When they all went home, kicked off their shoes and climbed into bed, how many of those people were really happy?

When am I most happy?

When am I most real?

What gives your life signficance?

Can you sum up in one sentence the meaning of your life?

Here’s an interesting life summary in one sentence, from the Bible: “Enoch walked with God, and then was no more because God took him.”

No comments:

Popular Posts