Friday, December 21, 2012

The End of the World

Today is the the shortest day of the year, or at least in the Northern Hemisphere. And I guess there's been a lot of chatter about it also being the end of the world. That Mayan calendar business sure created a lot of buzz, and some humorous material for comics and cartoonists.

One of the cartoons I saw has two Mayan natives giving instructions to the calendar maker. One says, "Just take it to the year 2012. That's when we switch to the Dilbert calendar."

Another that made me laugh was a picture of the maker talking with another Mayan. He says, "I only had enough room to go up to 2012." The other fellow says, "Ha! That's freak someone out someday."

The Louvre in Paris announced yesterday that they had 10 million visitors this year, one million more than last year. Either that's a good sign for the resurgence of the arts, or a bad sign that a lot of people had the famous repository of great art on their bucket lists and were more successful than I at getting there. If today's the end of the world, I guess there's a lot of my bucket list that won't get completed this time around.

Here are a few tweets from this morning's observations regarding this matter of the world's end.

@VanessaTheSats
The world didn't end woooo!!!! Christmas is nearly here! Lots of wrapping to do today! Let's go!

@PalomaFaith
Best text today:Happy Apocalypse.How's the end of the world for you?It's a bit boring here I have2admit.Bring back the millennium bug I say! End of the World

@RealJackEdwards
Daughter & I listened to REM's End of the World As We Know It at 6:12AM for Winter Solstice. We're still here.

@alphabetachino
I heard through a friend Mark Sanchez last nght took his entire 2012 paycheck and bought end-of-the-world insurance.

Ah, but there really are some things that make you almost wish it were the end of the world. One is a broken heart. On my 13th birthday Teddy Fiore asked Robin Christianson to go steady and she said yes. I cried on my pillow and said, "So this is what it's like to be a teenager." This song was on my Best of Herman's Hermits album, and in the melodramatic manner of youth it expressed how I felt, and comforted me. 

The End of the World

Why does the sun go on shining
Why does the sea rush to shore
Don't they know it's the end of the world
'Cause you don't love me anymore

Why does my heart go on beating
Why do these eyes of mine cry
Don't they know it's the end of the world
It ended when you said goodbye

I wake up in the morning and I wonder
Why everything's the same as it was
And I can't understand, no I can't understand
Why life goes on the way it does

Why do the birds go on singing
Why do the stars shine above
Don't they know it's the end of the world
It ended when I lost your love

Don't they know it's the end of the world
It ended when you said goodbye 

The Future Is Inevitable

No comments:

Popular Posts