Monday, May 29, 2017

Even My Droning Lawnmower Was Playing Dylan This Week, Plus a Recap of Friday Night's Singer/Songwriter Contest Winners

"This is in many ways the essence of the blues. It wasn’t my fault, it was fate, it was the drink, it was the woman, the cards were fixed… And all the time there is that gentle voice, the controlled music, pulsating away in the background, unremitting, moving on all the time."
--Tony Atwood 

* * * *

DDF ReCap

There were too many highlights at this year's Duluth Dylan Fest to list them all. For those who joined us at any or all of the events, we hope you will be back. It was very special this year.

Highlights of the week for me, in order of occurrence, included
--Robby Vee & His Rock & Roll Caravan at Karpeles
--The Dylan-Themed Art Show at Zeitgeist
--Poets of the Northland event on Bob's birthday
--The annual Blood on the Tracks Express
--The Singer/Songwriter Contest at Clyde Iron Works
--Phil Fitzpatrick's presentation at Karpeles again
--Cowboy Angel Blue at Carmody's
--and the Farewell Brunch on Sunday, which is alway full of warmth as parties depart for another year.

I lost track of how many people said this year's Singer/Songwriter Contest was the best ever. Every performer/competitor there brought their A-Game and the most repeated comment I heard Friday evening was "I'd hate to be a judge."

Amy Grillo & Gene LaFond (L) with Pat Eliason opened the show
with Dylan's touching "Every Grain of Sand."
Pat Eliason stepped up this year to serve as Master of Ceremonies. Our esteemed panel of judges consisted of Christa Lawler (Duluth News Tribune), Karen Sunderman (the Playlist), Christine Dean and Gene LaFond.

Each contestant is asked to perform two songs, the first one being their own composition and the second a Dylan selection. Daniel Botkin, who went first, came the furthest this year. He sang a heartfelt "Once In A Lifetime" and "Don't Think Twice." There were many impressive moments, though. Oe highlight was the 12-year-old Josie Longhorst's pair, "Don't Let Go" and "You Ain't Goin' Nowhere." Wowzer.

When all was said and done -- and sung -- the votes were tallied and winners selected. Congratulations to Pat Jacob Mahon, whose original "Gingerbread Man" knocked it out of the park and earned him first place. John Sonofmel took second. Third place went to Eric Lavelle and Shojin Be Alford.

Thanks to all the great performers. Clyde Iron Works has proven itself to be the perfect venue for this event and we hope to see you all here next year.

The Lawnmower Blues Riff

Can you guess what this is?
Dylan once said, "I don't look for things to write about. They just happen to me." To some extent I would have to say the same.

For some reason we've had a particularly dreary spring this year, though many would assert that our lack of sunshine is nothing new. When you get a week of gloomy skies and drizzle you really have to take advantage of those breaks where the sun succeeds in getting its say.

So I was out there Friday morning doing the yard on a ride-around MTD mower when I couldn't help but notice the rhythm my engine was groaning. If you pay attention there are many sounds we hear that could be translated to notes on the scale, and this particular morning the engine was doing just that, winding out a four bar riff that you can hear repeated throughout the duration of Dylan's wonderful blues tune from Modern Times, Someday Baby.

Naturally the entire time I mowed this song was running through me head. I'm not making this up. Open another tab and listen to the how the tune goes here. It's that little quirky descending scribble riff that I am referring to. The lawnmower seemed to grind it out with a perfect tempo, and yes it made me smile and sing for an entire acre.

What follows are the lyrics, but for an insightful breakdown of the song check out Tony Atwood's Untold Dylan.

Someday Baby

I don't care what you do, I don't care what you say
I don't care where you go or how long you stay
Someday baby, you ain't gonna worry po' me any more

Well you take my money and you turn me out
You fill me up with nothin' but self doubt
Someday baby, you ain't gonna worry po' me anymore

When I was young, driving was my crave
You drive me so hard, almost to the grave
Someday baby, you ain't gonna worry po' me anymore

I'm so hard pressed, my mind tied up in knots
I keep recycling the same old thoughts
Someday baby you ain't gonna worry po' me anymore

So many good things in life that I overlooked
I don't know what to do now, you got me so hooked
Someday baby you ain't gonna worry po' me any more

Well, I don't want to brag, but I'm gonna ring your neck
When all else fails I'll make it a matter of self-respect
Someday baby, you ain't gonna worry po' me any more

You can take your clothes put 'm in a sack
You goin' down the road, baby and you can't come back
Someday baby you ain't gonna worry po' me any more

I try to be friendly, I try to be kind
Now I'm gonna drive you from your home, just like I was driven from mine
Someday baby you ain't gonna worry po' me any more

Living this way ain't a natural thing to do
Why was I born to love you?
Someday baby, you ain't gonna worry po' me any more.


Copyright
© 2006 by Special Rider Music

* * * *

Does your lawnmower make music? Do you hear soundtracks in unusual places? I'd like to hear about it.

Meantime, life goes on all around you. Listen to the music.

2 comments:

LEWagner said...

Nice.

Unknown said...

The paisley is shot of a Rockmount shirt I bought Bill Pagel.

Popular Posts