Sunday, March 8, 2009

Rebecca’s Remembrance Bears

One of the harder things in life is the loss of a loved one. Sooner or later it happens to all of us, because none of us lives forever.

One of the hardest parts of dealing with a lost loved one is the sense that we never want to say goodbye. Yet we are parted and because we have no say in the matter, it hurts. Memories are one source of comfort, which is why our photos and videos help keep the connection alive while we go through the grieving process.

Last month I learned about Rebecca Bruley’s home business which also addresses this very real issue of grief and loss that we all deal with. Rebecca’s Remembrance Bears are a way to find comfort in the memory of a lost loved one while going through bereavement.

Because I thought some of you might be interested in learning more so I asked Rebecca a few questions about what she is doing and the difference it makes.

Ennyman: Your bears are very nicely tailored. How did you develop your sewing skills?
RB: I learned from my mom and sister-in-law at the age of eight. I was involved in my local 4-H program in sewing and submitted several entries in the local county fair. At Central High School I took classes in Home-Economics. Most recently I have been the director of costumes at several church play productions.

Ennyman: What do you enjoy most about making Rebecca’s Remembrance Bears?
RB: Using the material that a person actually wore makes each bear special. I lost my brother at an early age and wish that I could have a piece of clothing from him. I know the pain of losing some -one close and know what comfort it can bring by having something that was theirs to hold and touch.

Ennyman: Where did the idea of your Remembrance Bears come from? What makes yours unique as opposed to similar products?
RB: My mother-in-law passed away and I received several blouses she used to wear to add to my material inventory. For a few years I thought about what to make out of them. This past Christmas I remembered a bear my mom received when her brother died. I thought about making a pillow but the bear seemed more comforting. I made them for my husband’s brother and sisters and they were very excited to receive such a precious gift. Seeing their reaction made me believe that others would really love this too.

I take careful consideration in the design of the material and incorporate it into the pattern to make the bear extra special. The card attached to each bear has a Scripture verse and a unique poem written by my daughter that expresses perfectly what the bear was created for.

“I thank my God upon every remembrance of you” ~ Phil 1:3

"This is a very special bear made lovingly for you
Just give it a hug whenever you’re feeling blue
This was a shirt that I used to wear
And now it’s worn by your special Teddy bear.”
Love,___________ In memory of:___________
*

Ennyman: Starting a home business in midlife is a big step. What lessons have you learned from past experiences that prepared you for this?
RB: Since sewing is my passion and gift, it is a perfect match. Having owned our coffee business for over seven years we learned to be careful not to over invest at the start. Quality is very important and your best advertising is the testimonials of customers.

Ennyman: Are your customers primarily people who buy one as a gift? Or do people ask you to make one for them because they wish to remember a parent, spouse or sibling?
RB: Initially a person would want one for a friend or family member. Then once they receive it others will want one for themselves. These remembrance bears are not just for remembering someone who passed away. Best friends can each submit a shirt and combine both to create a bear for each of them. Also, a dad leaving for military service can have a bear made out of a shirt for his wife and/or children. College roommates, best friends, missionaries, newlyweds… the possibilities are endless.

Ennyman: It seems this kind of project would create some connections between you and hurting people. Do you ever get emotional while sewing because you know the story behind the bear?
RB: Yes! I get very attached to each bear. Each one is unique. That is why I take great care in handling each garment with respect. Sometimes it takes a little longer because I can relate to them so well so l want to do the very best that I can.


If you or someone you know is interested in your own Remembrance Bear, contact:
Rebecca’s Remembrance Bears
6717 West Cook Lake Road
Duluth, MN 55803
Phone: (218) 721-3006

*The poem that accompanies each bear is Copyright 2008, Rebecca Bruley, Rebecca's Remembrance Bears

No comments:

Popular Posts