Friday, June 12, 2009

Lincoln's Farewell to Springfield

Two weeks ago I posted an interview with Ann Tracy Mueller (a.k.a. Lincoln Buff 2 on Twitter) whose blogspot is, to me, an impressive achievement dedicated to Lincoln's life, speeches and memory. During that interview I asked which Lincoln speech was her favorite, and why. This was her reply.

"Lincoln has so many great speeches, but I have to say that his farewell speech to Springfield is my most favorite. It shows such a strong sense of place, an appreciation for the people who nurtured, inspired and supported him, and a depth of emotion that touches hearts still today."

I've been working on a new Lincoln portrait the past couple weeks (above) and thought this Springfield Farewell speech a suitable accompaniment. We see here a very human prescient man driven not by grasping ambition but by a desire to serve the people he loved.

Currently I have begun reading again Nothing Like It In The World by Stephen Ambrose. It could be argued that the two most significant achievements of the 19th century in this country were the building of the transcontinental railroad and the maintaining of the Union, despite its disparity of philosophies, economic structures and belief systems. Most recognize Lincoln's role in the latter of these. Despite a bloody Civil War, the divided house did not fall. Most do not realize he played a pivotal role in the other achievement, a strong proponent of the railroads.

Early in his career as a lawyer he fought to defend the right of a railroad to build a bridge across a river. It's comical to think that this legal battle went all the way to the Supreme Court. That is, what if riverboats had always gotten the right of way and bridges were outlawed as dangerous because a boat might hit it?

In the 1830's Lincoln met a man named Dodge who would be instrumental in the implementation of this vision. Dodge knew all the routes from East to West better than any man, and Lincoln later found him ... but wait, I am getting ahead of myself. Let's just sit back and enjoy the speech, Lincoln's farewell.

My friends, no one, not in my situation, can appreciate my feeling of sadness at this parting. To this place, and the kindness of these people, I owe everything. Here I have lived a quarter of a century, and have passed from a young to an old man. Here my children have been born, and one is buried. I now leave, not knowing when, or whether ever, I may return, with a task before me greater than that which rested upon Washington. Without the assistance of the Divine Being who ever attended him, I cannot succeed. With that assistance I cannot fail. Trusting in Him who can go with me, and remain with you, and be everywhere for good, let us confidently hope that all will yet be well. To His care commending you, as I hope in your prayers you will commend me, I bid you an affectionate farewell.

If you're a Lincoln buff yourself, or just want to plug in to some good historical writing that is both satisfying and illuminating, check out the Lincoln Buff 2 blogspot.
EdNote: As always, to appreciate paintings best, please click to enlarge.

No comments:

Popular Posts