Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Ten Minutes with Sculptor James Day

I discovered the Art of Day website by means of a Follow Friday recommendation from another artist on Twitter. Always interested in seeing what others are doing, I checked his profile and found a link to the Art of Day blog, Day's online creation, a site that helps increase awareness and appreciation for other artists and their work.

James Day is himself a sculptor and the works I saw impressed me to such an extent that I wished to share him here. I strongly recommend you check out the links at the end.

Ennyman: When did you first realize you were more creative than some people and decide to pursue art?
James Day: My ambitions in art started very early since I was the son of a sculptor. So it was inevitable that I would be an artist in some capacity.

EN: What was it that influenced you in the direction of sculpture?
JD: Of course being the son of a sculptor would have a large impact on the medium I would focus on growing up and in the future. I enjoy drawing and painting quite a bit, too, even web design, but definitely feel a higher connection and ability in sculpture.

EN: Who were your early inspirations?
JD: Early on I was inspired to be a special FX artist in part from watching the making of Star Wars and the alien bar scene back in the 1970's. I loved creating miniature and life size monster busts and fantasy characters. That lasted through high school and half way into college. The majority of high school I attended in Holland, and like most American families over there we visited countless museums. That's where some of the more traditional inspirations for me came from. My favorite artists were Michelangelo, Bernini, and Picasso. The first two artists were epic sculptors of course and amazed me with how intricate they could carve detail, form, and movement, especially Bernini. But Picasso inspired me to do whatever I wanted, leaving no boundaries to what I could imagine and create. His art taught me to push what were perceived to be acceptable limits and not worry about traditional approaches to presentation and subject matter in art.

EN: Please explain the bas relief process that you use to create these fascinating pieces?
JD: I use all types of clay, from traditional firing clays to plasticines or even polymer clays. I usually start by forming just a rudimentary shape roughly the size and shape of the work I want to make but slightly larger so that the detail can be carved into it. I used to build up clay and add details, but over the years prefer to start with larger solid blocks of clay carving out the detail and removing what's not needed.

EN: What are you currently working on that excites you and why?
JD: I have several relief sculptures and a few paintings that aren't finished yet. When I have the time I plan on finishing them. At the rate I find spare time now days, it will probably be months before I get them finished and ready to show

EN: Any advice for people trying to balance art and career?
JD: Since it's such a monumental task, it's hard to give advice in this department. I guess I can give a little insight into how I've managed though. I have no social life what so ever, find very little time for myself to even watch a movie, and never go out in the evenings or on weekends. The only way I've been able to balance it all out is by giving up a normal existence, and working around the clock in an attempt to keep up with the workload, contacts, and networking. It's really difficult and launching the Art of Day site as you can imagine has only compounded it.

EN: I'm also interested in your relationship to the featured artists at your blog? How long have been hosting/managing/curating the Art of Day Blog?
JD: Each of the artists featured on Art of Day are selected from those who post their art on the ArtofDay Facebook fan page, entries submitted through the Art of Day website, or by direct invitation.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/ArtofDay/400259831040 (fan page)
http://www.artofday.com/ (website)

I joined Facebook back in 2008, got in touch with old friends, and started networking with as many artists, curators, and galleries as I could. After more than a year of networking I saw a huge need for something like the Art of Day website where artists could receive a sizable amount of exposure for simply taking part in such a site. It took another 6-9 months working the idea around before I actually committed to the project. Art of Day launched on July 12th 2010.

WEBSITE (Portfolio)
Sculptor & Artist James Day
http://www.artofday.com/artist_james_day.htm

BLOG (Artist Features)
Artist Features, Gallery Networking, & Art Event Promotions
http://www.artofday.com/wordpress

LINKEDIN
http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=17072700

FAN PAGE (Facebook)
http://www.facebook.com/pages/ArtofDay/400259831040


TWITTER (Art of Day)
http://twitter.com/Art_of_Day

Premiers all featured Art of Day artists to the twitterverse!

Visit the Art of Day website to submit your art and bio for review or your gallery's upcoming events for inclusion on Art of Day. The ArtofDay.com website accepts artists and galleries as contributors, meaning you can submit your own articles & event announcements for immediate review. Submit your own article today! http://artofday.com/wordpress/?page_id=367

2 comments:

James Day said...

Thank you for the article Ed!

Frank Scicchitano said...

Great article Ed. I know James through his decency! No better man could you have featured! :)

Popular Posts