Monday, May 25, 2015

Bison Heart and Other Delights

I feel pity for people who refuse to try something new. We're talking food here, but it could be applied to a wide variety of other experiences. On Memorial Day, a day in which people are often having cookouts and spending time with friends or family, it seemed like a good moment to share my bison heart adventure.

Last week I had a new experience that proved absolutely dazzling for my tongue. My son, who makes a living in the culinary trades, prepared a meal of pan seared bison heart, crab cakes, asparagus and ramp puree and bearnaise, with a salad of jumbo lump crab, asparagus, orange and upland cress with a citrus vinaigrette.

I'll admit I was bit insecure beforehand, but the explosion of flavors that tantalized my taste buds created a sense of sensory awe. Savoring every bite followed.

Just wanted to share it with someone, so I shared it with you.


* * * *
This afternoon, weather permitting, there will be some grilling, though I'm not yet sure what's on the menu as Chef Micah did the shopping yesterday. Meantime, here are some photos from other recent meals.

Preparing the crab cakes.
I always enjoy watching the prep work.
Care for some salad? Yumm. 
How about an appetizer?
English celebrity chef Jamie Oliver said, "What I've enjoyed most, though, is meeting people who have a real interest in food and sharing ideas with them. Good food is a global thing and I find that there is always something new and amazing to learn - I love it!" That seems to be what all the world's chefs seem to be doing these days.

As I see it, what's happening in the culinary field is similar to the Paris fashion scene works. Styles begin on the Runway and filter down to the masses through the Maurice's and Kohl's and Targets. In the same way, the culinary secrets that were once the domain of the elite are being shared with an increasingly broad audience. We're all beneficiaries.

Well, I'd better go make my breakfast. My mouth is watering.

No comments:

Popular Posts