Thursday, May 4, 2017

Throwback Thursday: Learning to See

To understand the world we live in, we must first see it as it is. Not as "trained" or manipulated to see it. Where do our ideas come from? Our ideas about God, about right and wrong, about how we should live... are they chosen, or... what?
Journal note, Aug. 25, 1985

I began my Ennyman's Territory blog in June 2007, which means that we're now approaching the ten year mark, striving to share something meaningful, thought-provoking or entertaining every day. As I reflect on the experience I am surprised at how many interesting people I have gotten to know whom I never knew before. This, more than anything, has made the experience worthwhile.

The words in blue on this page were from my third blog post, June 18. My initial plan, which soon strayed, was to sift through my 30 years of private journals for seed thoughts and notes that I could use as a springboard, hence the 1985 journal entry at the top of this page. What follows is the rest of that first early blog entry.

A long lost friend sent me this verse the other day, with the follow up explanation.

I looked to see
What I thought I saw,
But what I saw
I did not see.

"How many times do you think you see something, then turn to look and what you thought you saw wasn't what you were really looking at; in the real sense of it. On a more philosophical angle, every day we see past what's real to what we want to see, but only when we make efforts to truly see things for what they are we realize it's not what we wanted to see. Our minds and hearts trick us every day into believing what isn't real." ~ S.P.

* * * * 
How is it that we so often fail to see that which is right in front of us?

Meantime, life goes on all around you. Make the most of it.

No comments:

Popular Posts